2012 was a big year for Bug- he learned to read, ate up all the math I could throw at him, made new friends, gained confidence, and had a blast doing it. This year, we’re hoping to keep the momentum up. I have a few “big picture” goals for him this year:
- Read more, and for fun. I want him to find the joy in books and really get sucked into them. By the end of the year, I would like to have started doing some form of light, structured literature studies, and begin using novels academically. But mostly, I just want him reading for the love of reading.
- Be able to comfortably write in cursive, and compose a paragraph with a sense of organization.
- Memorize times tables.
- Become less anxious over doing things quickly. I’d love to see him gain some confidence in himself, and teach him to always try his best, even if he doubts he can do it “quick enough”.
- Use more mental math strategies.
- Be able to comfortably tackle “difficult” word problems.
- Continue enjoying nature, ask more questions, think through possible answers, learn to research
- Develop friendships, and understand what it means to be a good friend.
- Become interested in things other than Batman.
(for more information on how we are accomplishing these goals, see our current curriculum and activities)