This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SoHoppinGood #TopYourSummer #CollectiveBias
Bug has been busy in the kitchen lately exploring new recipes. He’s ten, and is addicted to reality TV cooking shows- he’s determined to have one of his own someday, and I’ve been letting him use this blog as a way to explore his interests and work on his cooking skills.
This summer has been all about ice cream and recipes to help us beat the heat- we aren’t used to the heat and humidity here on the east coast, so our days pretty much revolve around going to the pool and eating ice cream. When it’s hot, the last thing I really want to do is cook or eat a heavy meal, so I am game for the occasional ice cream treat for dinner- especially when my husband is on the road!
I love summer time- it’s so nice to have a break from our typical grind. It’s nice to be able to stay up late and eat whatever we want. The kids are taking a vacation from formal lessons (other than math…. I never let them take a break from math… mean mom!) and I’m taking a break from my grad school classes. It’s been so wonderful to slow down and have the kind of summer I remember having as a kid.
This week, we ran by Walmart before the pool, and picked up some of the new Blue Bunny® ice cream flavors- they’re packaged in clear tubs now, so the kids can see the flavor swirls and choose what they want to eat even easier. Bug wasn’t sure at first exactly what kind of milkshakes he wanted to make, so he picked Blue Bunny® Homemade Vanilla, Blue Bunny® Mint Chocolate Chip and Blue Bunny® Butter Pecan to bring home and experiment with. He also grabbed a variety of toppings- Smucker’s Strawberry Spoonable Ice Cream Topping, Smucker’s Magic Shell Chocolate Fudge Flavored Topping, and a handful of other goodies.
After a morning of experimenting with all the flavors, he’s come up with the PERFECT recipe to share with you today. Check out his cooking show:
The biggest thing to remember when making a layered milkshake is to be careful that you don’t make the shake too thin. It needs to be thick enough to hold up the sundae toppings, but be thin enough to still drink. Wide straws are a MUST for this one!
Grab all his recipes:
- Blue Bunny® Ice Cream
- Assorted Toppings
- crumble mint cookies into the bottom of a cup
- mix Blue Bunny® Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream and milk in a blender
- pour milkshake on top of cookies
- top with whipped cream and chocolate sauce
- line glass with caramel sauce
- mix Blue Bunny® Butter Pecan ice cream and milk in a blender
- pour milkshake in glass
- top with whipped cream and caramel sauce
- Pour some Smucker's Strawberry Spoonable Ice Cream Topping into bottom of glass
- Mix 2 bananas, Blue Bunny® Homemade Vanilla and milk in blender
- Spoon in an inch of milkshake into the glass
- Pour some Smucker's Pineapple Spoonable Ice Cream Topping on top
- Add more milkshake
- Top with Smucker's Strawberry Spoonable Ice Cream Topping, whipped cream and a cherry
Enjoy! If you are looking for more ways to beat the heat with your family this summer, check out all the Blue Bunny Ice Cream recipes here!