Every holiday season my family and I spend time making different types of shippable treats to send family and friends. Some of the packages are sent to those we unfortunately will not have the opportunity to visit with over the holidays and others are sent to those who will be spending the holidays deployed.
One of my favorite shippable treats to make is a holiday snack mix that is spicy, sweet, and salty. Cookies and cakes are always nice, but sometimes you just want something crunchy!
My holiday snack mix is super easy to make and consists of three types of cereal, peanuts, pretzels, butter, and seasonings. I personally like cooking holiday snack mix in the crock-pot. It may take a little longer but that extra time helps the flavors infuse into each piece.
You start by adding the three different types of cereal; Rice Chex, Corn Chex, and Cheerios to your crock pot. Then add the pretzels and peanuts. I always use my casserole crock pot, because it has the widest flat area and it allows for the most cereal to be against the bottom as possible. Then simply pour in the melted butter and seasoning mixture over the cereal and toss with a spatula. Cook on medium for about two hours. Stir every 15-30 minutes.
After the two hours turn off the crock pot and remove the lid allowing your mix to cool. Make sure your holiday snack mix is completely cool before you store the mix in air tight containers. My favorite way to store and ship my holiday snack mix is in mason jars. They are perfect for keeping the snack nice and crunchy while keeping the snack from getting all broken up in a ziplock bag.
Holiday snack mix is perfect for shipping and sharing but it is also perfect for snacking at home with the family. It is a staple in our house during the holidays. If you see a lit Christmas tree in our house you can almost always find a bowl of holiday snack mix near by. One of my favorite times to snack on the holiday mix is while cuddled on the couch watching Christmas movies with my husband and daughter! I guess you can say holiday snack mix is a holiday tradition in our home. Do you and your family have a special holiday treat tradition that the holidays just wouldn’t be complete without?
- 3 Cups Corn Chex
- 3 Cups Rice Chex
- 3 Cups Cheerios
- 1 1/4 Cup Peanuts (out of the shell)
- 1 1/2 Cup Pretzel Sticks
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- Pour all three cereals into a crock pot. Then add the peanuts and pretzels.
- In a separate small-medium microwaveable bowl cut the butter into six tablespoon tabs and microwave for a few seconds until fully melted.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, salt, cinnamon, creole seasoning, and sugar.
- Mix well with a fork or whisk until all the seasonings are incorporated into the melted butter.
- Pour over cereal mixture in the crock pot and toss with a rubber spatula.
- Turn crock pot up to medium heat.
- Toss/Stir every 15-30 minutes with the rubber spatula.
- After cooking for 2 hours turn off heat and remove lid.
- Allow to cool before packing for shipping.